Thursday, May 26, 2011

Death of a Ghost, 1989

Death of a Ghost, 1989 oil on board
I consider this painting the beginning of my artistic 'awakening,' as pretentious as that sounds. That doesn't make it any good, just significant. It reflected my new way of doing things - fast and furious and to hell with technique. As it happens, it is one of my favourites. It coincided with relationship upheavals, my father's slow health decline, and the start of my life as an angsty student on a three year long alcoholiday. Fun!

2 comments:

  1. hey martin
    it always amazes me that your art is quite the opposite of your music
    in that i would expect the guy who did this would make some kinda wild explosive stuff....and therein lies the difference between the 2 mediums i guess
    your good friend
    steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. its a funny old thing painting vs music. I did play in a raucous-ish rock back then so the 2 mediums went hand in hand. But this way of painting for me burnt out eventually...

    ReplyDelete